Monday 24 August 2015

The Importance of Meal Prep: Budgets, Time and Nutrition


 By now it should be quite clear that I meal prep for two main reasons; to keep to budget and to hit certain nutrition through the week.
Meal prep also means for Mr ATL and I (mainly me), that we only have to spend one day cooking meals for the week and we can do them in bulk.

In the pictures are all the meals that we have made so far and the surplus of veggies that we have from this week's shop.

Prep and cooking day is usually a Saturday as that's my main chore day. One batch will go in the oven and the other will usually go in the slow cooker. As a general rule this means we will have 2/3 different options for lunch or dinner, which granted won't work for some people

Why Meal Prep for Budgeting?
In my main weekend post I highlighted how much I spent on our weekly shop and how much our lunches worked out to per portion. In the end for the casserole it worked out to £0.30 (without rice) per portion (with rice as we bought in bulk it averages about £0.33 per portion).

Now working this out if you bought your lunches on a supermarket meal deal:
£3 x 5 = £15 per week
£15 x 4 = £60 per month
£60 x 12 = £720 per year

So that would mean for Mr ATL and I, if we bought our lunches for a year that would cost us at least £1040 - I say at least because it really depends where you buy your lunches. For us that would be a good chunk of a holiday, just saved through not buying our lunch.

Nutrition
This one is really a no brainer. I control what we eat. Ratio of carbs/fats/proteins can all be worked out easily and stuck to - something that will fluctuate if you are buying your meals. There's also salt etc that need to be taken into account - I can vary ours as we need or we can add as individuals, if it's pre bought we really have no control over it.

This week's lunch and dinner meals include:
Left over risotto from Saturday night with chicken - for Mr ATL post gym (x2)
Sausage casserole with rice
Roast chicken with garlic and herbs and veggies
BBQ chicken with veggies

I batch boil our weekly eggs - so I will prepare 3 days worth at a time and I make Mr ATL's little snack of celery and peanut butter the evening before.

Our fruits this week from our £1 bag buys at our Asian supermarket included 4 mangoes (yes 4 for £1!), limes, bananas and flat peaches.

Breakfast is easy enough in the ATL household. I have 2 boiled eggs (and maybe some fruit/a piece of toast - if bread was cheap enough) and that's me done. Mr ATL needs a bit more with the gym so his works to:

1/2 cup oats
200ml milk in oats
250ml milk to drink
On training days 1 scoop protein in oats

In summary, it really isn't that hard a job to meal prep. I'm no expert but I manage to keep someone who is training and myself who is dieting fed without starving ourselves on a budget.







No comments:

Post a Comment